WPSL CONFERENCE CALL
June 30th, 2004
PM PDT/7:00 PM MDT/8:00 PM CDT/9:00 PM EDT
- Ajax Southern California (Los Angeles, CA) - Jeff Thomas
Storm (Sacramento, CA) - Jerry
(Denver, CO) - Scott Dedycker
(Golden, CO) ö Debbie Rock
- Elk Grove Pride (Elk Grove, CA) - Frank Vellutini
- Houston Stars (Houston, TX) ö Luis Labastida
- Las Vegas
Tabagators (Las Vegas, NV) ö Guy Hobbs
Pride (Millersville, MD) ö
- Massachusetts Stingers (Swansea, MA) ö Raul Reis
Mutiny (Springfield, MA) ö Joe
- Rochester Reign
(Rochester, NY) ö Jami
San Diego WFC
(San Diego, CA) - Lu Snyder
Nighthawks (San Francisco, CA)
ö Dick Cross
- Steel City Sparks (Pittsburgh, PA) ö Chris Quahliero
TEAMS NOT REPRESENTED
California Gold (Escalon, CA) ö Hervi Rualo
East Bay Power
(Orinda, CA) - Ernesto Silva
(Goshen, IN) ö Shek Borkowski
- Grand Rapids Alliance (Grand Rapids, MI) ö Abrahm Shearer
- Northern California Blues (San Jose-Santa Cruz, CA) ö Cori Houston
- Rhode Island Rays (Wakefield, RI) ö James Kelly
- Utah Spiders (Salt Lake City, UT) ö Jamie Schock
Simmons ö League Referee Assignor
Stephen Kowalski ö Media Director
- The current ownership of the Maryland Pepsi Pride do not want to fulfill their responsibilities as a member of the Women's Premier Soccer League.
- A separate ownership group would like to take over for the Pride. They agree to make up the rest of the schedule and are willing to post a bond to ensure the league that they will fulfill their travel obligations.
- The Maryland Pepsi Pride has no problem with this group taking over. However, they do not want them to use the Maryland Pepsi Pride name.
- Joe Ferrara, who has been talking with the new group, believes that they have the organizing ability and financial support to take over for the remaining schedule and continue as a member for future seasons.
- The league consensus is that the new ownership shall not be responsible for any debt incurred by Maryland Pepsi Pride's forfeit to the Massachusetts Stingers. However, the league will ask the new ownership to travel to the Stingers home field for their second game to help make-up for the earlier forfeit.
- Dick Cross motions and Guy Hobbs seconds that the new ownership group take-over for the Maryland Pepsi Pride if the following conditions are met:
- They travel to Massachusetts and Rochester.
- They pay league fees of $1000.
- They pay all referee fees for the remaining home games
- They post a bond for $3000.
The league unanimously agrees that the Maryland Pepsi Pride's membership be terminated. CKH will prepare the written resolution and send it to the Pride ownership.
Minutes correction for the March 10, 2004 conference call:
- The motion carries unanimously.
The Championship Tournament proposal made by the California Storm's Jerry Zanelli does not include airfare.
Due to the change in the Storm's proposal conditions, the Utah Spiders have offered to host the Championship Tournament at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, Utah. They will meet the same conditions as the California Storm (Jerry Zanelli).
Dick Cross motions and Lu Snyder seconds that the Championship Tournament remain at Folsom High School Stadium. If league funds are available, not including any incoming money for new teams, the league will help playoff teams with airfare costs. The motion carries.
Frank Vellutini motions, but there is no second that the tournament location be changed to the University of Utah. The motion does not carry.
Points will determine the Championship Tournament wildcard position. Only the North and South divisions will be eligible for the wildcard position.
The Championship Tournament seeding will be determined by the percentage of wins.
If a team gets into the playoffs in consecutive years, they will not have to play the same team as the year before. For instance, since the New England Mutiny played the California Storm in the semi-finals last year, if they participate in the tournament this year, they will not have to play the Storm in the semi-finals again.
USASA cancelled the Soccer Festival's women's program. Therefore, the WPSL will not send an All-Star team to the festival.
All WPSL players will be admitted into all Championship Tournament games for free. They will need to either wear their uniform to the game or bring their player pass. All teams are asked to inform their players of this.
Meeting adjourned at 7:10 PM PST.
The next monthly conference call is scheduled for July 14, 2004.
Minutes respectfully submitted.