About the Team:
The "Florida Sol FC" will play out of the Fleming Island in the Jacksonville area.
The team will be coached by Luis Torres and will play it's home games at the Clay County Soccer Club complex where Torres is currently the Director of Coaching for girls. Clay County Soccer has also agreed to be the primary sponsor of the team.
The team will be comprised primarily of current college players and players who are about to start their college careers. Many of the players have been a part of Torres' Ponte Vedra Storm for many years and are excited about having the opportunity to play together in the summer as they return home from their various colleges.
The team will be young, but will have very experienced players for their age. Current college standouts like Notre Dame center mid Elizabeth Tucker and Atlantic Sun Freshman of the year, Carolina Lencina, as well as the A-Suns leading scorer Lauren Hopfensperger, are excited about the team. There will also be a strong presence from many of the local and State colleges as there will be current and future players from the University of Florida, Florida State University, University of Central Florida, University of North Florida, and Jacksonville University asked to participate.
We are excited about the team and see it as a way to bring high level women's soccer to Jacksonville while continuing to provide the college players with an opportunity to continue to play and develop over the summer.
About the Coaching:
Head coach Luis Torres brings over 24 years of coaching experience to the Sol FC team. Having coached at various levels from club to College to National Team, Torres will bring his philosophy of passion for the game and individual development to the Sol.
Torres is currently the Director of Coaching at the Clay County Soccer club in Fleming Island Florida and is still the head coach of the U-18 Ponte Vedra Storm who has been one of the most successful teams in the history of Florida Youth Soccer.
"The concept around this team is that it is strictly for the players, we will be here help continue their development throughout the summer by playing in an environment that is low pressure yet competitive in every practice and match". "If you know me you know that the environment will be positive and fun, but it is always about the players and what they want and need to be able to go back to school ready to compete at the highest level" - Torres.
Type of Players:
The Sol will be made up primarily of young college players, and high school seniors that are about to start their college careers.
Some of the players are:
- Liz Tucker, From the current National Champions, University of Notre Dame
- Carolina Lencina, Atlantic Sun freshman of the Year
- Lauren Hopfensperger, Atlantic Sun Leading Scorer
- Morgan Brian, 2011 All-American, Youth Player of the Year, U.S. U-20 National Team
- Kaili Torres, 2011 All-American, U.S. U-17/U-18 National Team (2011 Univ. of Virginia)
- Havana Solaun, U.S. U-17/U-18 National Team (2011 Univ. of Florida)
- Annie Bobbitt, U.S. U-17/U-18 National Team (2011 Univ. of Florida)
- Sarah Voigt, U.S. U-18 National Pool/Team (2011 Univ. of Notre Dame)
- Allison Brashear, U.S. U-14 National Camp (2011 College of Charleston)
- Alexa Hosey, U.S. U14/15 National Pool (2011 University of South Florida)
- Justine Quick, University of Central Florida
Along with many other outstanding players.
Some of the local colleges that may be represented are:
Florida State University
University of Central Florida
University of Florida
University of North Florida
University of South Florida
To Be Announced.